COVID-19 UPDATE: Jason R. Antoine, Attorney at Law, remains open remotely to serve our community and assist them with their needs. We can be reached by phone, e-mail, contact form, and video conference.

Endangering the Welfare of Children

Endangering the welfare of a child is a crime in Pennsylvania and occurs when a parent or guardian or other person supervising a child under 18 years of age, knowingly endangers the child by violating a duty of care, protection or support. The definition of this crime can be found in the Pennsylvania crimes code at 18 Pa.C.S. §4304. Endangering the welfare of children is a misdemeanor of the first degree (M-1) in Pennsylvania and carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in jail and $10,000 fine. This crime may be graded as a felony of the third degree (F-3) if the prosecution alleges and proves that there was a course of conduct, meaning that the behavior happened on several occasions.

The following are examples in which Pennsylvania courts have upheld convictions for Endangering the welfare of children:

  • Drinking and driving with a child in the car;
  • Doing illegal drugs or having illegal drugs around children;
  • Failing to seek medical treatment for a child;
  • Leaving a child in a hot room with no food or liquids for 24 to 48 hours;
  • Fighting with your spouse and hurting the child on accident;
  • Squalid conditions in the home;
  • Riding your child on the back of an ATV with a helmet but no restraint system;

Protect Your Record and Reputation

Although, endangering welfare of children is a misdemeanor, you must fight vigorously against this charge. If convicted, most likely this charge will be on your record for the rest of your life. This charge carries a certain stigma that will likely make it difficult for you to find employment.

Contact Us

Contact Jason R. Antoine, endangering the welfare of children defense attorney if you or a loved one is facing this charge. If you have been charged, do not talk to police whatsoever. Contact my office immediately at (610) 299-0295.